Juniors prepare to complete state testing at month’s end

All Juniors at Canyon Hills High School will take the California Assessment of Student Performance and

student studies in library
The CAASPP is scored using four different levels with level 4 meaning a student exceeds standards and level 1 means the student is below standard. (Ayla Jones)

Progress (CAASPP) on May 16th and 17th.

Students in California have to take the CAASPP in grades three through eight and take the test for the final time in their junior year. Juniors are tested on Science, English, and Math.

“The primary purpose of CAASPP is to assist teachers, administrators, and pupils and their parents, by promoting high-quality teaching and learning,” as stated by San Diego Unified School District (SDUSD). 

The test is administered via computer so all students are asked to bring their school-issued computer and not a personal computer. The test consists of two sections: a performance task and a computer adaptive task. 

“ The computer-adaptive section includes a range of item types such as selected response, constructed response, table, fill-in, graphing, and etc,” SDUSD states. “The PT are extended activities that measure student’s college and career readiness.”

student studies outdoors
The CAASPP tests student’s knowledge of common core standards which could be a struggle for students that transfer from regions without common core. (Ayla Jones)

Although the test scores do not affect students’ grades if a student does plan on going to a

California Community College (CCC), some CCCs might want to receive test scores for placement as stated on California’s Department of Education website.

For those who are not able to take the test on the scheduled date, there will be a make-up day in which more information is still to be released.