False Rumors; Skittles are to not be banned

Originally, skittles , along with other foods, were in process of being banned by the year 2027. It turns out that Skittles no longer share the same ingredients that are being banned such as potassium bromate, brominated vegetable oil, Red Dye 3, and propylparaben. This is due to the fact that the state of California passed the California Food Safety Act back in October. There were rumors that skittles had contained some of these ingredients, but they didn’t. The reason the additives are getting banned is because they seem to increase the risk of cancer.

Rumors of skittles being banned had spread all over the country. (Business Insider)

The earlier version of the California Food Safety Act did contain a coloring agent, titanium dioxide, which actually is in skittles. So if this was kept in the bill, skittles would be banned or either require a change in their current formula. The bill also included a penalty for anyone violating the rules, that could go from $5,000-$10,000.

Governor Gavin Newsom, shared a statement that many other countries had already banned these additives, and that it’s a step forward to greater food safety. With the delay to 2027, the governor says, “significant time for brands to revise their recipes to avoid these harmful chemicals.”