The Student News Site of Canyon Hills High School

Canyon Hills Chronicle

Canyon Hills Chronicle

Canyon Hills Chronicle

MLB Player Rankings were just released, how will fans react?

MLB Player Rankings, the one thing I look forward to in the MLB offseason every year. I get so excited every time they start doing the countdown because I want to see where my favorite players are ranking in the top 100 MLB players every single year. But the question is, do fans agree with these rankings?

Overall the Atlanta Braves lead the top 100 with a total of 9 players on this list, one of them being the number one player of the 2023 MLB season, Ronald Acuna Jr. After the Braves, it then is the Dodgers and Astros tied both with 7 players on this list. 

There are many players on this year’s list that were not on last year’s list such as this year’s NL and AL Rookie of the Year, Diamondbacks Corbin Carroll and Orioles Gunnar Henderson. 

I think the most disrespectful ranking on this list is Mike Trout’s ranking. He was a top 3 player over the last 7 years and now he is number 12. I understand he was injured but like, it’s Mike Trout, he is carrying the Angels every single year and the amount of disrespect the MLB gave him is just outrageous. Don’t get me wrong, he was injured and didn’t have a great year, but that has happened in the past and he still was a number 3 player easily.

Top 10 MLB players of 2024 (MLB Network)

A student that chose to say anonymous had this to say about the rankings “These rankings have to be rigged. There are some players like Aaron Judge that don’t deserve to be as high on this list as they are. The same can be said about players like Matt Olson, yes he did lead the league in home runs but hitting .283 is not good enough to be a top 20 player.”

The biggest jump on this list from last year was 72 spots and that was the Royals Bobby Witt Jr., again do I agree with this 72 spot jump to where he is 20th; absolutely not, but that is what the MLB gave him. I get it, he hit above .270 with 30 home runs but he still was not the third best shortstop in the league. He is probably the 5th best shortstop in the league, behind Corey Seager, Trea Turner, Bo Bichette and Xander Bogaerts.

I also would like to point out that there are teams with no players within the top 100 such as the Washington Nationals, Detroit Tigers, and Oakland Athletics. Do I understand the Athletics and the Nationals, yes, but the Tigers? I don’t understand this at all. I mean was there only one player on the Tigers that deserved to be on this list, maybe, but he didn’t make it on the list. This player is pitcher Tarik Skubal. He had a 2.80 ERA over 15 starts, with a 7-3 record. This was all over 80.1 innings, he also limited the batters he faced to only 4 home runs and also had 102 strikeouts. Again another injured player, but I am like 90 percent sure that there were many injured players that made the top 100.

These rankings won’t mean anything in a year when they come out again, but still, this year’s list is an abomination if I have ever seen one.