The Student News Site of Canyon Hills High School

Canyon Hills Chronicle

Canyon Hills Chronicle

Canyon Hills Chronicle

Release of Live-Action “Avatar: The Last Airbender” Coming in 2024

As the Nickelodeon cartoon “Avatar: The Last Airbender” (ATLA) comes to its twentieth year anniversary in 2025, Netflix is releasing a live-action adaptation in February 2024.

The main character, Aang, across the three different versions of the series: the cartoon from 2005, the movie from 2010, and the new show coming in 2024. Comparing the character designs, it can be seen that the show has put in more effort to be accurate to the cartoon compared to the movie. (@avatarverse_ on Instagram)

After the backlash received by the movie “The Last Airbender” from Paramount Pictures, fans have been eagerly awaiting a more “accurate” live-action adaptation of the original show.

“It’s not at all accurate to the original show,” says CHHS senior Daniel Jarquin. “The actors mispronounce the character names. Even if you weren’t a fan of the original, the movie is overall boring with horrible CGI and action scenes.”

The upcoming live action adaptation was announced in September 2018, and after many setbacks from the global pandemic and entertainment industry strikes, as well as creative differences between the crew, will finally be released next February.

“I’m always one to be optimistic about things,” says Jarquin. “While delays and setbacks can be annoying, it hopefully shows that they somewhat care about the quality.”

Long time fans are looking forward to the new show.

“I’m honestly just looking forward to being able to see the show in a new light,” says Jarquin. “I’ve missed the show and hopefully this will give me a chance to see it for the first time again.”

Even with the excitement, however, there are still a few concerns with the production.

“I’m mainly concerned that it won’t live up to my exact expectations,” says Jarquin. “On the other hand, I’m also concerned that it will be amazing and they will cancel it after one season.”

Avatar Studios is currently working on many additional ATLA projects, set to be released in the years to come.