The Student News Site of Canyon Hills High School

Canyon Hills Chronicle

Canyon Hills Chronicle

Canyon Hills Chronicle

Daylight savings time marks the beginning of one hour’s less sleep

On March 19, spring officially arrives. There will be plenty of sunshine and bright skies, and beautiful weather will cause flowers to begin to bloom. In order to preserve energy over the winter, we also get used to daylight savings time, which begins on March 10 at 2 a.m. before spring officially arrives.

We lose an hour of sleep when the clocks “spring forward” and are turned ahead at 2 a.m. for one hour when Daylight Saving Time begins. (Johanna Borbon)

The day will be 23 hours long, and we essentially lose one hour of sleep. This will occur for 65% of the year until November 2, we will be back on standard time. 

With spring coming, the weather will be more enjoyable to certain people. This is a positive upcoming event as people in San Diego prefer the sunlight then the colder weather. The sun will start to rise at 7:04 am on the morning of March 10, whereas the sun rose at 6:06 am. On the first evening of DST, the sun will set at 6:53 pm.

According to NBC San Diego news, “sunset time in San Diego will stretch all the way up to 8pm” on June 20, the first day of summer.

As the daylight saving time era ends, “sunset time will revert to 7:59 p.m. on July 7 and grow steadily earlier,” according to NOAA.

Giovany Escobedo, student at Canyon Hills says they prefer Daylight Savings time in the winter “ so I can sleep more, but also to enjoy more of the night time”

When the clocks change during this transition, people often wake up feeling more tired  or struggle to fall asleep to their regular routine. 

Escobedo claims  During the springtime, yea. Its a bit of a hassle and your body kinda has to get used to it. almost like jet lag you know. But i’d say the opposite for when it changes during the winter. Who doesn’t like extra sleep right?” 

They state that they are more of a night time person and prefer the sunset to set “ Sooner, once I get off from school i have a bit of time to enjoy the sunset on my way home, and enjoy the night when i’m out.”