2024 Oscars pulls higher audience than previous years

Nielslen reports that 19.5 million viewers watched the Oscars telecast on Sunday, March 10, 2024, an increase from 18.8 million the previous year.

You might wonder why more people watched the Oscars this year, it’s probably because there were more popularly recognized nominees, like “Barbie” and “Oppenheimer,” for best picture.

“Oppenheimer” continues to run as one of the most successful biopics with Nielsen reporting that the film recorded 821 million mins of viewing during its first week of streaming on Peacock. (Quint Entertainment)

Oppenheimer was the big winner of the evening out of 13 nominations the movie received it won 7 of them. The categories were for Best Picture, Christopher Nolan for Best Director, Cillan Murphy for Best Actor, Robert Downey Jr. for Best Supporting Actor, Ludwig Goransson for Best Score, Hoyte van for Best Cinematography and Jennifer Lame for Best Film Editing.

For his performance in Openheimner, Robert Downey Jr. also known as Iron Man, the superhero we’ve all heard of, won his first Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor.

The audience cracked up as he said, “I would like to thank the academy and my terrible childhood in that order.” 

He goes on to say that he needed this job more than it needed him, and he was surrounded by one of the greatest casts and crew of all time. 

Emma Stone won Best Actress and Best Picture for the movie ‘Poor Things.’  

“The other night I was panicking as you can kinda see that something like this could happen and Yorgos said to me please take yourself out of it.”  Stone says

She says, he was right because it’s not about her, it’s about a team that came together to make something greater than the sum of its parts.

“The best part about making movies is all of us together, to every single person who poured their love and their care and their brilliance into the making of the movie.”

While receiving the award she mentions the malfunction on her dress that had ripped in the back during ‘Im Just Ken.’

Which brings to mind the other highlights of the evening: the two standout nominees for “Best Original Song,” “I’m Just Ken” by Ryan Gosling and “Barbie” by Billie Ellish.

Gosling and Mark Rosnson performed ‘I’m Just Ken.’  Which hit 4 million views on youtube ABC channel. The Ken-energy exuded comedy from the very beginning when he pulled his black cowboy hair back from his face and started to sing.

Billie Ellish and her brother Finneas O’Conell won the category Best Original song she states “Thank you to my Best friend Zoe for playing Barbies with me, and being by her side.”

“I want to thank my dance teachers growing up and I want to thank my choir teacher Miss Brigham.” For believing in her and “Miss T, you didn’t like me but you were good at your job, and the academy.” 

Cillan Murphy who won best actress accepted the leading role of ‘Openheimer’ before even reading the script. He states that he is a very proud Irish man standing ‘’here tonight.”

“We made a film about the man who created the atomic bomb and for better or worse we are all living in Oppenheimer’s world so I would really like to dedicate this to the peacemakers everywhere.”