Photography students use shutter speed to take photos with motion

Jumping, Freezeframe, Mary Poppins

Brain To

Many Photography students were inspired to take pictures of people mid-jump, because it can create an illusion of flying. And the lighting and background of the piece looks as though the subject truly is in the air.

What is ‘Shutter speed’? 

Shutter speed is the speed at which the shutter on a camera closes, catching subjects that are moving in a nice photo, as long as the shutter speed is fast. This allows for some interesting photos to be taken using all different types of objects that move quickly to the naked eye. The faster the shutter speed, the clearer the photo.

This showcase will display some photos, in no particular order, using both moving subjects and shutter speed, taken by 1-2 Photography students in Chris Pedersen’s class.

1. Balloon Ripple – by Juliana Tetherow

Ballon, Ripple, Water, Focus
In this photo, you can see shutter speed being used to capture the ripples of the water inside a balloon. And the background blur directs the viewer to the subject. (Juliana Tetherow)
  1. Rain Drops – by Russell Ricasata

Rain, Tree, Water Droplets
    This photo catches the individual raindrops as they fall, and they are caught like this because of the shutter speed of the camera. (Russell Ricasata)
  2. ‘Mary Poppins’ – by Brain To
Jumping, Freezeframe, Mary Poppins
Many Photography students were inspired to take pictures of people mid-jump, because it can create an illusion of flying. And the lighting and background of the piece looks as though the subject truly is in the air. (Brain To)

4. Ripping Bark – by Isabella Williams

ripping bark photo
Catching movement is easily done with shutter speed, and the focus on this photo is super fine, meaning each particle coming from the bark being torn is seen clearly. (Isabella Williams)

5. Falling paint brushes – by Mia Clark

falling paintbrushes photo
Again, taking photos of movement can be done with ease with high shutter speed, and you can even imagine how these brushes are falling and bouncing off the floor with the lighting and focus. (Mia Clark)

6. Flying volleyball – by Savannah Janousek

volleyball suspended in air
In this final photo, the same illusion of photographing something as it flies into the air is used, but the focus on the volleyball creates a blur in the background, which shows the water particles flying off of the ball. (Savannah Janousek)