Subscribe

* indicates required

Canyon Hills Baseball looking more promising this year than years past, can they keep it up?

Baseball here at Canyon Hills is looking really good and they are only eight games in. They are the number 14 Division IV team in the San Diego Section and at the moment are still in the running. This isn’t the first time this has happened, every year the team starts off strong and then falls off but does that all change this year?

This year’s team consists of 5 seniors, two of which have been on Varsity for the last three years. Outside of these two seniors who have been on Varsity since their sophomore year, the rest of the team is filled with 3 juniors, and well the rest are sophomores. This is one of the best sophomore heavy teams I think I have ever seen. Yes they are 4-4, but it’s still early in the season and those early season bumps are still getting worked out.

I was able to catch up with one of these seniors, senior pitcher Ben Rannazzisi, and ask him about how he feels this year’s team is different from last year’s and other years past.

“As a team we have a much better team chemistry, we are able to bond better together” said Rannazzisi.

I was also able to catch up with the other starting senior on this roster, senior third baseman Tyler Lejarraga, to see if he had anything to add to what Rannazzisi had said.

“Definitely a big change, lots of new guys on Varsity. Lots of young guys filling big roles” Lejarraga added.

He is referring to sophomores who are now starters such as sophomore starting second baseman Ollie Korman, sophomore starting catcher Elijah Shoate, and sophomore Josh Lewis who not only can play shortstop but he also serves as the other arm in this team’s rotation.

This year’s team is looking really good, there are many underclassmen who are making a large impact. These boys will be here for a couple more years and we all are excited to see what this team looks like in a couple of years.

As far as the upcoming schedule, the baseball team will be at home this Monday against Palo Verde Valley and also again on April 2nd against the Rock Academy. As the season continues, they will face stronger teams, but this team can handle anything and anyone. I highly recommend going to watch and support this team.

Fear the Venom and Go Rattlers!

Photo of Baseball team on Opening Day against Kearney High School (Photo Credits; Hal’e Martin)