MatPat of “The Game Theorists” Set to Retire in the Coming Month

The title itself is enough for tears to well in one’s eyes. As of the publication of this article it’s been a few weeks since MatPat, or more formerly known as Matthew Patrick, has announced that he will be retiring

Senior Hazem Said baring the face of many Game Theory fans as they watch one of the last videos to be hosted by MatPat, excited for the new era but looking back fondly on the past. (Hazem Said)

from youtube. For those, including myself, that grew up watching the channel, the news hit hard. Many of the comments thanking MatPat for all the entertainment he’s brought to the internet over the last decade and a half.

“I grew up watching MatPat, especially his FNAF videos, and I’m so sad to see him go but I respect it” Jaiden Whitaker lamented.

While the news is devastating, it should be noted that he will be still pulling strings in the background and occasionally appearing in videos, but Dapper Mr Tom, will be taking over as the main host of the Game Theorists’ channel. 

MatPats reign of the channel is one of joy and triumph. In almost 15 years, he was able to amass over 18 million subscribers, raised MILLIONS of dollars for charities like St. Jude Children’s Hospital, published over 500 videos (on the Game Theorists channel alone, with the exception of guest hosts), and uncovered/ brought light to the countless amount of ambiguous game storylines across the internet. 

His influence over the youtube gaming community will never be forgotten, many of the most popular gaming youtube channels flooding the comments of the video with love and support.

A big concern is that the new host, Tom, will be faced with a lot of backlash following his official knighting.

One commenter rrrrbeccasmith on Instagram said “let’s try to enjoy toms era for what it is instead of comparing him to mat or seeing him as only someone to fill the gap that isn’t fair to tom. I will miss me but am excited to see what tom will do as well…” 

I myself expect to see a lot of Game Theory purists plaguing the comment section of Tom’s first youtube video as the new host but hope there is an equal if not more overwhelming amount of support and love for the new host. 

One door closes and another one opens for the Theorist channels but try and keep in mind that MatPat picked these people for a great reason. They’ve worked alongside him for years and are just as responsible for all the channels’ success as he is. 

But hey.. What do I know? I’m just a journalist..a student journalist 😉