School Orchestra to Perform Later This Month

This coming December 13th at 7:30pm the string orchestra is set to perform in the theater. This is the first of two concerts set to happen here at the school, excluding all extracurricular events, the second being in the Spring around the end of the year. It’s the concertmaster, Sydney Brown, last winter concert of her senior year as well as many other seniors. They will be accompanied by some wind percussionists, the school’s choir, as well as Farb and De Portola’s very own Orchestra.

Score of Trepak or the Russian Dance from the popular ballet The Nutcracker (Savannah Richard)

The reason for the cluster concert is to encourage middle school students that are already in Orchestra (and even those who aren’t) to participate in Orchestra for the Freshman year of high school, assuming they’ll attend Canyon Hills High School after middle school. 

“Middle Schoolers choose their classes in late December so the timing of the concert is intentional”

Each ensemble will be playing their own pieces individually. The Canyon Hills Orchestra will be playing four (and a half) pieces, including Trepak by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky which the Farb and De Portola students will be playing alongside them.

Orchestra teacher and conductor Michael Fieldler encourages students and parents to attend.

“Come to the concert, it’s free and fun!” Fielder says

There will be a bake sale and an option to donate, but everyone is welcome to attend the concert with no contributions.