The Student News Site of Canyon Hills High School

Canyon Hills Chronicle

Canyon Hills Chronicle

Canyon Hills Chronicle

What Students Want: School lunch

School lunches have been a hot topic for a while with debates often centering on their quality, nutritional value, and overall appeal. There’s a perception and often a reality, that school lunches could use improvement.

Even though overall opinion of lunches are negative with a little bit with a little student participation we could improve it. (Jayce Lay)

One common criticism revolves around the nutritional content. Many school meals contain high levels of processed foods, unhealthy fats, and excess sodium. This can lead to concerns about childhood obesity and other health issues. The limited variety and lack of fresh fruits and vegetables in some school lunches also draw criticism for not meeting nutritional standards while they do make you take a fruit every time you buy a lunch, oftentimes it’s mushy or unappealing and just gets thrown away  .

Another point of contention is the taste and presentation. Sometimes, the meals lack flavor or appeal, which can result in a lack of interest among students. The stereotypical image of soggy vegetables or overcooked entrees often makes its way into discussions about school lunches and the very few times there has been some favorites like the chicken and waffles or mozzarella sticks they get rid of them or it is a rare to have them and they  often run out pretty quick. 

In my opinion it would be pretty easy to improve with stuff like 

Convenience and Appeal: Ensure meals are convenient, quick, and appealing. High school students often prefer meals that are easy to grab and eat on the go.

Varied Menu: Offer diverse meal options that cater to different tastes and dietary preferences, ensuring there’s something appealing for everyone.

Student Involvement: Engage students in menu planning or surveys to understand their preferences and gather feedback, increasing the likelihood of meals being enjoyed 

After interviewing people around campus many say that school lunches just aren’t as good as they used to be with Senior Matthew Lopes-Hotares saying “Making lunches better isn’t just about the food it’s about creating an awesome experience that feeds us physically and mentally. We can try new recipes, making the lunch area more welcoming, and celebrating different flavors to enjoy every meal and chat with friends.”

Making sure school lunches are both healthy and tasty is really important for high school students. Healthy food helps us grow and stay healthy, but if it doesn’t taste good, it’s harder to choose the right stuff to eat. When our lunches are yummy and good for us, it makes it easier to pick healthier options. When healthy food also tastes great, it helps us like eating healthy, and that’s something we might keep doing even after high school. Having tasty and healthy lunches helps us feel good, do well in school, and keeps us healthy too. 

Despite these issues, it’s important to note that efforts are being made to improve school lunches. Some schools have implemented programs to offer healthier options, include more fresh produce, and ensure meals meet certain nutritional guidelines. However, the challenges in providing nutritious, tasty, and appealing meals to all students remain significant.