New Starbucks Finishes Construction in Tierrasanta Town Center, Bringing Drive Thru Option

After weeks of construction, a new Starbucks has been installed in Town Center. They were set to open during the first week of February, though they still had some work needed to be done, so the date was pushed forward.

Interior for the new Starbucks, compared to the former building there is much more space, and the design is more light. (Sam Harris)

Opening after a few days into February, the café started to serve customers once more. Then after less than a week, they closed due to alleged electricity issues. Although the problem was swiftly dealt with. 

The interior is filled with tables and chairs, much like the corner Starbucks before Covid, except with varying designs and more space. There is a mural on one of the walls that depicts different military logos and flags, and near it is an American flag with a quote that reads, “This store is dedicated to people united by their courage to serve our country”.

This café brings some new elements that also were not seen in the former building, such as an alphabetical design on the counter to give out orders efficiently. As well as a detailed list of which products can be recycled or put in the dump, printed on a sign above the trash cans. 

However, the biggest change to the new Starbucks has to be the drive thru. Common amongst most Starbucks stores.

“The drive thru isn’t super efficient. it’s helpful for cutting down how many people are parking, but that’s really it,” States CHHS Senior, Jasmine Tran, “The wonky lanes to get in and out of the drive thru make the parking lot more dangerous to drive and walk through”.

The new dual entry drive thru on the opposite side of the Starbucks.

The drive thru has flaws, affecting customers who are driving as well as those who are walking. Though, there are some positives that come with the new building itself.

“The building is definitely so much bigger, which is nice, since it means there’s more room to wait around inside,” Tran says, “I’m mostly happy for the new mobile order pick up station, i always felt bad having to ask a worker for my drink during a rush, but now i can just grab my drink and go”.