The Student News Site of Canyon Hills High School

Canyon Hills Chronicle

Canyon Hills Chronicle

Canyon Hills Chronicle

Student Spotlight: Isaac San Martin, Club President of Cesar Chavez Club

Canyon Hill High School is a school of many diverse clubs all with different plans and purposes. While all of them have their designated advisors, most of them are entirely led by the students within them. Due to this, it’s common for students with a large portion of the club’s responsibilities to have to learn a balance between doing well in school and running a club. A club that I believe to have a lot of influence in our community is the Cesar Chavez club, their president being senior Isaac San Martin.

Cesar Chavez Club President, Senior Isaac San Martin smiling through the day. (Savannah Richard)

The club’s main focus is to help people in the community, helping the school, and hosting events. Just last month they got together to make 155 sandwiches to give to the migrants as well as providing nonperishable foods and clothes. A lot of these noble services are also put towards helping immigrants that move around the area.

When asked about how stressful being the club’s president is, San Martin said it takes up a decent amount of his time.

“It is a little stressful because I have to run everything, which sucks as a senior” he lamented,“ I have to manage all of it and it interferes with school, I also worry about it outside of school when I have to make slides or posts”

San Martin is in a few of my classes as well and I see him have to step out to take care of the club’s responsibilities which I can only imagine is demanding. Still, he puts his all into participating in class.

“Isaac is a good student who focuses on getting good grades but more than that, what makes him exceptional is that he is curious. He takes genuine interest in other people-peers and adults” Teacher Mrs. Brandel praised “He makes others feel welcome and included. That’s no small task, especially for a teenager. Isaac focuses his interest on others instead of just himself.”

Because of his exceptional leadership, San Martin is set to speak to thousands of people at the annual Cesar Chavez breakfast about the club’s accomplishments and future plans. The club’s advisor and a school guidance counselor Mr. G praises his ability to juggle all of these responsibilities.

“The [aforementioned] opportunity as well as many others is due to his ability to be a good leader AND student” he said.

I can barely handle going to work and staying on top of schoolwork, so San Martin’s seemingly effortless ability to run a successful club that aids the community and do well in school is extremely admirable.