Sabrina and Steph 3-Point Shootout: How has is changed gender barriers with professional sports?

The Sabrina and Steph 3-Point Shootout just happened and not only did Sabrina shock a lot of professionals with her ability to shoot from the mens line, but she also is now a figure as a womens activist amongst womens athletes.

Sabrina vs Steph during All-Star Weekend
(NBA)

Steph Curry, the NBA’s 3-Point record holder brought his incredible shooting skills to the court on Saturday, while Sabrina Ionescu brought her single season 3 point record to the court, definately gave Steph a run for his money. The competition is poised to showcase not only their unparalleled talent but also the growing popularity and recognition of womens sports.

Although most analysts thought Steph was gonna win, which he did, most fans actually were actually rooting for Sabrina. This is something that has never been done before and helped highlight that womens sports deserve just as much respect and recognition as mens sports do.

The shootout was more than just a part of the NBA All-Star Weekend. It served as a way to promote gender equality within sports. With Sabrina going head-to-head with a current NBA record holder, she is breaking barriers and challenging the status quo. This event is expected to inspire a new generation of athletes and fans to embrace the power of change in professional sports. 

Sabrina was supposed to shoot from the WNBA 3-point line which is 22 feet away from the basket with the 10 foot rims, but she ended up shooting from the NBA line which is around 2 feet further from where the WNBA lines are. This is because Ionescu wanted to “push boundaries and equal the playing field” which I think is extremely important in today’s age where gender equality in sports is overlooked.

As we watched, the event promised to be more than just a skills competition. It also served as a way to promote sports to be bring together, break gender barriers, and also promote gender equality within the sports world. In the end, although Sabrina did not walk away with the win, she helped break down a fraction of the gender barrier in sports.