The Student News Site of Canyon Hills High School

Canyon Hills Chronicle

Canyon Hills Chronicle

Canyon Hills Chronicle

MLB reveals Hall of Fame 2024 candidates

The MLB Hall of Fame is one of sports most prized awards in all of baseball, and has just named the three former players to make it into the 2024 class to join many other incredible former players. How good were this year’s players?

The 2024 MLB Hall of Fame Class: Adrian Beltré, Todd Helton, Joe Mauer (left to right) (ESPN)

Todd Helton – Colorado Rockies

Todd Helton is the first player to be named in this class. Helton made his debut in 1997 as a 23-year old slugger from University of Tennessee as a first baseman. Between Helton’s first full season in 1998 and 2007, just 6 years before he retired, he had a batting average of between .302 and .372. His batting average for the season was never under .302 between that 9 year span. He also won one batting title even though he probably should have won more considering he played at Coors Field his entire career and the ball flies more in Colorado. His OPS was also sitting around 144 during that span with four seasons at least 65% better than the league average. Helton also led the Rockies to their lone World Series appearance in 2007 although it was a 4 game sweep by the Boston Red Sox. To say that Todd Helton had a pretty great career is an understatement. Oh and to top it all off he was also a 5-time All Star, 3-time Gold Glove, and 4-time Silver Slugger. Helton had such an incredible impact on the Colorado Rockies that the organization retired his number, number 17, on August 17th, 2014.

Adrian Beltré – Texas Rangers

Adrian Beltré is the second player in this class. Beltré made his debut in 1998 with the Los Angeles Dodgers. Throughout his 21 year career Beltré only had 7 seasons where he hit either at or above .300. He also spent his 21 year career with 4 different teams with a 7 year span with the Dodgers, 5 year span with the Seattle Mariners, 1 year run with the Boston Red Sox and finished his career in Arlington with the Texas Rangers. He was a 4-time All Star, and won the Silver Slugger four times as well. Upon his retirement he was the only third baseman in MLB history to have 3,000 career hits and 400 home runs. Beltré was also a 5-time Gold Glover, 2-time Platinum Glover, and also finished second in MVP voting in 2004 where he hit 48 home runs, with a slash line of .334/.388/.629. He lost to Giants slugger Barry Bonds. Beltré is also the third baseman with the third-highest WAR all-time. The Rangers also retired number 29 on June 10th, 2019 in honor of Beltré

Joe Mauer – Minnesota Twins

Joe Mauer is the only catcher on this year’s list and also the first catcher to be inducted into the Hall of Fame since Deacon White, who was inducted in 2013. Although Mauer’s career was shorter, he still is going to go down as one of the best catchers of all time. In 1,858 games over 15 seasons, Mauer posted a .306 batting average (2,123-for-6,930) with 1,018 runs scored, 30 triples, 143 home runs, 923 RBIs, 939 walks, .388 on-base percentage, and a .439 slugging percentage. Mauer spent his entire career in Minnesota and won many awards. His resume shows he is a 6-time All Star, 3-time Gold Glover, 3-time batting title winner, 5-time Silver Slugger and also won an MVP in 2009 where he put up incredible stats including a slash line of .365/.444/.587. Mauer had such an incredible impact on the Minnesota Twins that the organization retired his number, number 7, on June 15th, 2019. 

These players will definitely be known as some of the best to play the sport.