Dollars and Sense: School Fundraising – More Chances, More Cha-Ching!”

High school is not just about classes and textbooks, it’s a time for students to explore their interests, build friendships, and be part of something bigger than themselves. However, many clubs and sports

A student asks for donations with his sign. We really need more chances to fundraise for our clubs and sports. (Jayce Lay)

teams face financial challenges that can limit their activities. There are various reasons as to why we should have more fundraising opportunities such as:

Teamwork and Leadership Skills: Fundraising events provide a chance for students to work together as a team. Whether it’s planning a bake sale or organizing a charity run, students learn how to collaborate, communicate, and lead. These skills go beyond the fundraiser itself and can help students in future academic and career pursuits.

Making Activities Affordable: Not everyone can easily afford the costs associated with clubs and sports. More fundraising opportunities mean more financial support for these activities. By actively participating in fundraising, students contribute to covering expenses like uniforms, equipment, and travel costs. This helps ensure that all students have the chance to join in without worrying about the financial burden.

Feeling a Sense of Ownership: When students are involved in fundraising, they feel a stronger connection to their clubs and sports teams. Contributing to the financial well-being of their activities creates a sense of ownership and pride.

This emotional investment can boost morale and motivate students to give their best effort with volleyball captain Kai Rast saying “I wish we had more chances to fundraise for our clubs and sports. It’s not just about raising money, it’s about coming together as a team, learning new skills, and making sure everyone can be part of something awesome without worrying about the cost. We have so many ideas and energy – more opportunities would let us turn that into something really special for our school.”

Connecting with the Community: Fundraising events are a fantastic way for students to connect with their local community. Car washes, bake sales, and other activities bring people together. These interactions not only benefit the school by creating a positive image but also allow students to build relationships beyond their classmates.

Creativity and Problem-Solving: Planning and executing successful fundraisers require creativity. Students get to think outside the box, come up with new ideas, and find solutions to challenges. These skills are not only fun to develop but also important for personal growth and future success.

It is very important giving high school students more opportunities to fundraise for clubs and sports is a win-win. It helps with the financial side of things, but more importantly, it lets students develop essential life skills. By creating an environment that supports and celebrates fundraising efforts, schools empower students to actively shape their extracurricular experiences.