What students want: School Spirit edition

Everyone, listen up! There’s a big issue at our school that almost everyone can feel. It’s like the most important thing about high school, in my opinion. It’s what could really bring us all together, and that’s school spirit.

Canyon Hills introduced a new mascot last year in the 2023 school year. (Jayce Lay)

“Since we came back to school post-COVID, things just don’t feel the same,” shared Teacher Tommy Cotner. And you know what? I totally get it. If you’ve ever been to our high school football games, you can feel it too. The spirit is just not there and it’s pretty disappointing.

After walking around campus and interviewing peers these are the ideas that came up for increasing school spirit engaging events. Students express the need for more engaging and inclusive events that cater to a diverse range of interests. 

Many students want more support for both sports and the arts, believing that school spirit should include cheering for sports teams and celebrating creative talents in drama, music, and art.  Senior Blessed Seller thinks the funds should be more shared , saying, “Football shouldn’t be the only sport getting money; we need equipment like a ball pump.”

Unity Initiatives students are pushing for projects that bring unity and community to campus. This includes teamwork, mentorship programs, and chances for students to connect with peers from different grades and backgrounds. Senior student Natalia Love emphasized the need for more ways to meet people and get guidance for adulthood, “College isn’t the only option anymore,” Love said.

There’s also a strong desire for more visible symbols of school pride, like murals, banners, and displays celebrating student achievements and diversity. Senior student Landon Daniels thinks the school should have more decorations to remind students of “rattler pride.”