The Student News Site of Canyon Hills High School

Canyon Hills Chronicle

Canyon Hills Chronicle

Canyon Hills Chronicle

What is the CFB Playoff Expansion and how is it going to impact next season?

College Football, the most watched college sport in the U.S., is changing some things over the next couple of years, the biggest thing is expanding the playoffs from four teams to 12 teams next season. But the question is, what exactly does this mean for College Football going forward?

This is what the 12 team playoff picture would’ve looked like if it were to happen during the 2023-2024 season. (SportingNews)

What is the expansion?

This expansion will be the biggest thing for college football since the creation of the of CFB Playoffs back 2014. Before 2014, there was a just a ton of Bowl Games such as the Sugar Bowl and Rose Bowl that helped determine a National Champion For the last 10 years, there has only been 4 teams in the college football playoffs and in this year’s case it was Michigan, Washington, Texas, and Alabama. Typically how it goes is the number 1 seed will play the number 4 seed and the number 2 seed will play the number 3 seed. 

This expansion will increase the number of teams in the playoffs which can make things more exciting for college football fans. Instead of the top four teams competing for a spot in the national championship, there will now be 12 teams competing for a spot in the national championship. The six highest ranked conference champions will recieve an automatic bid. The top four teams will receive a first-round bye to the quartersfinals. The eight-highest ranked remaining teams will round out the 12-team format.

How will this impact CFB going forward?

There are a handful of coaches that don’t like this expansion. The reasoning behind this is that there can be 10-2 teams that make it into the playoffs when an 11-1 team is way better than a 10-2 team. This expansion makes it to where more teams can compete for a national championship. 

I don’t really like the idea of this new expansion, I like the idea of the original 4 teams. I think that expanding to 12 teams ruins the fun of having to compete for a top spot. Although this may help players get ready for the NFL Playoffs which is 14 teams, I still think that teams need to compete for a top spot in order to know what it’s like to compete at the top level in the NFL. In order to be the best you have to beat the best.