PSVR2: Controllers Refusing to Work Almost a Year After Release, Customers Left to Figure it Out On Their Own.

To this day there are still many issues with specifically the PSVR2 controllers, and the Playstation community had to get together to create their own solutions due to Sony not addressing the topic further.

The PSVR2 has been out for about a year now, and there were issues left for customers to fix on their own. Countless guides can be found online dating back to its release date in February 2023, up until December 2023.

You can still call customer service and get their thoughts on the matter, though it would probably be the same from their website. Two solutions that many claim don’t work, and when you search for an individualized problem, you can either get a million posts from Reddit or others with the same problem and no answers. 

Of course, no hardware is perfect, but with the cost of this headset being more expensive than the console itself then I want something with little to no issues. I mean the controllers are included with the headset, but how much does that matter when they don’t work?

The main problem that can be found with the controllers is that one will work perfectly fine, most commonly the right controller, and the other won’t work unless reset or powered off or messed around with in some way or another. Naturally people will go to the internet for answers, and as I’ve mentioned before a lot of “Final Fixes” have been shared. Although there will always be a problem explained as unfixable, for example recently people have been getting a drift in one of the controllers and then the controller will stop working entirely. 

As I stated before, the controllers being included with the headset means there is only one way to fix this issue. Boxing up your entire setup and shipping it to Sony. Unless you are capable of repairing your own controller or know someone who can, this is the only solution that the company gives. To put away the majorly expensive PSVR2, and send it back. The duration for repairs is only one to two weeks and while that may seem short, it is still frustrating nonetheless. 

After spending all that money on something, you would think that they would have done endless testing, especially with the controllers. Maybe they did, but clearly they didn’t test enough if so. The fact that the controllers don’t work makes games where you need both of them impossible to even enjoy.

Sure, the games are still playable, yet it’s a struggle to try and play a game with only one controller. For instance, the game we immediately bought was the new FNaF game, “Help Wanted 2”, and the first tutorial game needs both controllers to work in order to get through it as it was intended to be done. That meant holding a sort of raygun in one hand and switching something on it with the other hand at the same time. To make things more complicated, there was a timer for when you needed to do this. You can see why this would be difficult when only one controller is responding.

Now to set the mood for that day, it was christmas day and we set up the PSVR2 in the living room, which is already small to begin with. Our Christmas tree was blocking half the room. So we all agreed to take down the christmas tree on the same day right then and there so we could get to playing the games we oh so desperately wanted to play. 

We took down our Christmas tree only to be greeted with disappointment when one of the controllers didn’t work. This led to frustration for a few hours, because we weren’t expecting this issue with how much the headset costs in the first place. Eventually, somehow my sister figured out how to make the controller work, and for a long while we had hope for it to be fine from there.

The very next day that same controller stopped working again. From the day we set it up to now we have been dealing with a finicky controller that sometimes works, and other times it doesn’t. And as mentioned before, Sony’s solutions don’t work in the long term. There is more trust

In the end, a company so big and prominent in the gaming community should reflect on the majorly negative response to their gear not working, and do something about it instead of pretending that nothing is wrong.