The Student News Site of Canyon Hills High School

Canyon Hills Chronicle

Canyon Hills Chronicle

Canyon Hills Chronicle

Preseason Softball Workouts start back up, will this help the team make a run this year?

Softball, one of the most popular spring sports on campus, is starting workouts earlier this year than in year’s past due to the idea that this will help the Lady Rattlers make a run in CIF.

Graphic posted on Canyon Hills Softball Instagram Page with workout information.
(Hal’e Martin)

After the devastating CIF loss last year, this Rattler squad is looking to do big things this season especially after being moved up a division to where they are now Division II which consists of lots of higher level teams and girls that also compete very highly.

These workouts are going to not only help the Rattlers get ready for the upcoming season and get to know the girls on the team but also get a feel for the coaches and their coaching styles. Head Coach Johnny Graves is excited for these upcoming workouts as he can see this team going far in CIF as well as even winning CIF. Assistant Coach Nathan Burger also has the same feelings and thoughts Coach Graves has, as Burger has coached high level teams before such as his own daughter’s teams. 

The best part about these workouts is that there are two different types of them, every Thursday the team will condition and hit and every Saturday the team will work on their fielding skills as both of these skills are very important to master in the game of softball.

This year’s team is senior heavy as there are 7 total seniors to graduate this year, after that there are the 3 juniors who have been on Varsity since their freshman year, Pitcher Natalye DeBus, Utility Kassidy Ramirez, and Catcher Hal’e Martin. After the 7 seniors graduate, this Rattler squad is going to look very different, but the good thing is that there are so many incoming players from De Portola Middle School who play softball, who are not only going to come in next year but also make an impact.

With all that being said, the Rattlers softball team is holding winter workouts every Thursday and Saturday up until tryouts on Saturday 2/10, Monday 2/12, and Tuesday 2/13. If there are any questions involving the softball team please feel free to reach out to the Rattlers softball team instagram page. Go Rattlers!