The Student News Site of Canyon Hills High School

Canyon Hills Chronicle

Canyon Hills Chronicle

Canyon Hills Chronicle

Seeing Through Western Propaganda

The Western media has a tendency to majorly broadcast what is predominantly in support of a favored post-colonial outlook. The attitudes reflected across many major outlets of mainstream media have a major bias toward a government in which we have fallen submissive to– the Israeli government. Countless times have we witnessed throughout history on a global scale the influence of propaganda and what impact it has had on communities consuming its falsehood, and further the ways in which this consumption impacts the attitudes, prejudices, and stereotypes made against the minority group being targeted by oppressive media outlets.

Israel’s ability to cut off electricity and power to Gaza enables them to prevent Palestinian’s from seeing that much of the world is protesting for them.

On a more contemporary beat, the current Israel-Palestine conflict news coverage being produced by our very own American media outlet officials encapsulates the epitome of this propaganda. With that raises the question, who are we to rely on with credible and factual information regarding the attacks being carried out against  the deemed minority in this scenario; Palestinians? Most especially when we have officials holding prestigious positions of power, such as our very own President Biden, bashing the validity of death toll reports made by Gazan Hospitals themselves.

While the numbers are extremely apparent in contrasting what population is, and has been, facing severe collectinve punishment; it’s important to remain empathetic to all individuals mourning losses. Even those who are not directly related to the Palestinian or Israeli population, as well of those who are not members of the Jewish or Arab community are allowed to feel shared pain due to the loss and devastation of so many innocent lives. With the persistent lack of acknowledgement for the casualties suffered on both sides from those in positions of power in the United States, it raises a dire motivation to the younger population with access to social media platforms outside the scope of mainstream media. 

Coverage from journalists residing in the Gaza Strip on TikTok and Instagram provide insight to the unfolding tragedies. Video coverage of infants being taken away from incubators that have ran out of oxygen, young children without limbs and many with an undeniable look of terror etched into their eyes; all of which are being consumed by users with algorithms pointing to current events in Palestine. Western Media’s lack of acknowledgement on platforms such as Fox News and CNN do not prohibit the younger generations’ awareness of issues that will seep into the laps of our own adulthood.