“For All The Dogs” Drake Album Review: did it live up to the hype?

Drake, a 37 year-old Canadian native, known for popularizing singing and R&B sensibilities in hip hop, has just released his 8th studio album by the name of “For All The Dogs”. Up to the release, Drizzy’s fans were extremely excited about this album especially since there hasn’t been an album release since 2021 when he released his hit album “Certified Lover Boy”. FATD released on October 6th, 2023.

For All The Dogs Album, cover created by Drake’s son Adonis Graham (Pitchfork)

This album is supposed to be one of Drake’s best pieces yet considering the amount of appearances from other artists such as SZA, J Cole and 21 Savage. On top of some major artists hopping on the tracks with Drake, his son 6 year-old Adonis Graham, who not only was featured on the tracks “Daylight” and “8am in Charlotte” and then released his “My Man Freestyle” which has gained a ton of fame and attention already.

Throughout the album Drake talks his thoughts on wealth, women and many other things.

Virginia Beach – Drake talking about how he will go to great lengths to express his love towards a girl

Amen (ft Teezo Touchdown) – Saying thank you to God without asking for anything in return

Calling For You (ft 21 Savage) – Exploration of relationships, desire, and individuality

Fear of Heights – Exploration of self-confidence, past relationships, and sense of superiority

Daylight – Although the lyrics may seem incomplete he talks about power, confrontation and maybe violence

First Person Shooter (ft J.Cole) – Drake and J Cole talk about confidence, skill, competition and the pressure to be successful in the music industry

IDGAF (ft. Yeat) – Both Drake and Yeat convey a sense of self-confidence and a strong disregard to others’ opinions

7969 Santa – The one song that Drake has on every album, talking about a failed relationship and trying to move on from it

Slime You Out (ft SZA) – Almost conversation-like, both SZA and Drake talk about past toxic relationships, being manipulated, and power struggles that rise within them

Bahamas Promises – Lyrics convey feelings of being betrayed, frustrations, and resentment words towards a woman named Hailey

Tried Our Best – Talks about the complexities of a relationship filled with frustration, arguments, and questionable decisions

Screw The World (Interlude) – A very short track letting the audience decided what he means

Drew A Picasso – The lyrics express feelings about love, heartbreak, and betrayal

Members Only (ft PARTYNEXTDOOR) – Expresses loyalty, belonging, and the challenges of maintaining relationships in the midst of fame and the music indistry

What Would Pluto Do – Exploration of temptations, personal desires, and acting on those desires

All The Parties (ft Chief Keef) – Themes such as fame, success, party culture, and personal relationships are explored

8am in Charlotte – More of an introspective song where success, wealth, and the challenges that come with it are explored

BBL Love (Interlude) – Another song about love, relationships, and self-reflection

Gently (ft Bad Bunny) – A song mostly sung in spanish with the artist Bad Bunny using a playful and flirtatious tone

Rich Baby Daddy (ft. Sexyy Red & SZA) – By far the most popular song on the album as it blew up on Tik Tok and even has it’s own dance, talks about desire, physical attraction, and fleeting relationships

Another Late Night (ft. Lil Yachty) – Both Lil Yachty and Drake talk about long nights spent with close friends, complicated emotions, and also contradictions from these feelings and relationships

Away From Home – Talks about humble beginnings, his struggles to make a name for himself, the sacrifices he made, and the memories that shaped him along the way

Polar Opposites – The final song of the album, talking about confusion, inconsistencies, and emotionally instabilities in a romantic relationship

I personally haven’t been a huge fan of Drake, not that this album has really changed my mind but with that being said I think there are some great tracks on this album such as Amen and 8am in Charlotte. I would overall give this album a 7 out of 10. Not his best work but definitely not his worst, at all. I would recommend this album to anyone who is looking for new hip hop music but doesn’t want to go into the classics such as Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg. 

My critique on this album is that there are so many songs and that it doesn’t really tell a story. His songs all talk about different things that he has experienced but there is no story, which typically engages me more and makes me want to listen. I would say that I really like some of the collabs on this album, which makes up for that though. If you put Drake and SZA on a track together, you are basically asking for a number 1 hit.