Review: Genshin Impact 4.2 Archon Quest

The 4.2 update,Masquerade of the guilty, recently released on November 8th, bringing with it new characteristics and regions, events, story and world quests, and most importantly the final act to the Fontaine archon quest. The trailer for the update was filled with tension as it was built up that Furnia was to be put on trial. Along with the prophecy being fulfilled, with lines of people being dissolved mentioned. The lines that played in the background hyping up the trail as Furina declares that she will use this trail as the way to show the world the true meaning of justice.

Art for the 4.2 archon quest from Hoyoverse

Spoiler warning

The 4.2 archon quest was one of, if not the best archon quests in the game so far. How everything is pulled together and some major questions answered that left a satisfying end to that part of Fontaine and Genshin’s story. The emotional moments hit hard and they were executed extremely well. From the slow realization that Silver and Melus were victims of the primordial sea, to the scenes with Focalor and Furnia. Even the deaths of the citizens of Poisson, even though we didn’t know them, left an impact that is felt because of the impact on other characters. It was built up so well, as no one had any idea about what was happening, and with how quiet it was when we entered Poisson, and no one was there. The sense of tragedy that came from that scene made you more invested throughout the rest of the story as you want to save the rest of Fontaine and get justice for Silver, Melus, and the Citizens of Poisson. It makes a good conflict of emotions when Furina’s trial happens. You work towards stopping the prophecy and work to expose the lies Furina tell’s, getting justice for those lost. Yet it doesn’t feel like a victory as you watch Furina breakdown, desperately trying to convince the people that she is their archon. But when she is declared guilty she doesn’t fight it, doesn’t scream, doesn’t muster up her usual bravado declaring this to be false. She just sits down with tears in her eyes and goes lifeless, not reacting to anything even as it seems that the Oratrice is about to kill her. And finally the most emotional part of the quest Focalors reveal and Furina’s backstory. We learn that she was a human made in the image of the hydro archon, and that for 500 years she was acting as the archon fearing that the moment she was exposed it was all over. We see the toll it took on her mental state and how she broke down every night wondering when it would finally be over. It made for such a powerful scene that made many people start to like Furina. The 4.2 quest does an amazing job at building up and executing the emotional scenes that make the story so much more enjoyable.

The music of the quest worked really well from the music that plays during the Poisson disaster to the All Consuming Narwhal’s boss music; it helped build the scenes within the story. The Narwhal’s first appearance is a good example of how 4.2 quest does good with its music. With it helping with building the tension that was in the scene as the Narwhal appears. The opera-like chanting that plays in the background as Neuvillette and Childe fight the Narwhal. It keeps you on the edge of your seat as you don’t know if this is when the prophecy begins or if it’s just the forewarning. The music makes it so much better then it would if there was no music.  Along with that the music was just really good and could be listened to anytime in my opinion. Like the music from Focalors execution was really good both in and out of the scene. The same could be said about the All Consuming Narwhal’s boss music. It’s really good and fits with the previous boss’ music but being different enough to make it unique. And even though it’s not a part of the archon quest, the song from Furina’s quest, La Vaguelette, is really amazing. It was sung by French actress and singer Cécilia Cara. It makes the song that much better with her angelic voice fitting the sad tone of the song perfectly. Overall this had amazing music that makes the story so much.

The characters were great and it made the story more enjoyable. I like how each of their talents/resources were used to make Furina’s trial happen. I like how for example, Lyney and Lynette used their magic tricks to capture and bring Furina to the Opera Epiclese. I like how it’s a bigger version of the trick that they used in the first archon quest. The interactions between the characters, while short, were believable and fun. It makes me want to see more of this group in events and anything else they could appear in. The story also did a great job at making Arlecchino more of a heroic figure and it makes it obvious that she cares deeply about the people of Fontaine. The endings that were given were all sweet and allowed for more stories to be added on in the coming updates. It sets up that Clorinde and Navia’s relationship is getting better and that Freminet is joining his sibling in the magic shows. Each has cute little dynamics and have what feels like satisfying endings to their stories in the archon quest. Furina is done really well as well as in this story quest her motivation and backstory are revealed. It also includes one of the most impressive acts in the story so far in my opinion, deceiving the Heavenly principles for 500 years. To me what makes this impressive is not that she deceived them, it’s that she did it as a human. She did without the eroded emotions of the gods that allowed them to watch so many pass. She had the same emotions as you and me. The only reason she was able to do it was because of her willpower, her ability to act, and the threat of doom. To me and many others this made me fall in love with her character.

The 4.2 quest is one of the best archon quests because of how it handles its characters, story and music. It makes it on similar levels to the 3.2 archon quest, and in my mind makes Sumeru and Fontaine on similar levels storywise. It was the perfect ending for the story and I’m excited to see what 4.3 has in store for us.