The Student News Site of Canyon Hills High School

Canyon Hills Chronicle

Canyon Hills Chronicle

Canyon Hills Chronicle

Viva La Fiesta! Celebrating Cinco De Mayo, history, tradations, and celebrations

Strangely, more people celebrate Cinco de Mayo in the United States than in Mexico, and many mistake it for Mexican Independence Day, just as Fourth of July is celebrated in the United States. This is due to the fact that it is observed with characteristic fare, get-togethers, and parades just like the Fourth of July.

Cinco de Mayo, observed on May 5, 2024, commemorates the victory of the Mexican Army against France on May 5, 1862, at the Battle of Puebla, during the French-Mexican War.

The Battle of Puebla Day is observed on this day.When Mexico announced in 1861 that it would no longer be paying back its foreign debts, troops from England, Spain, and France invaded the nation.

The traditional uniform for Cinco de Mayo celebrations is festive and colorful, many featuring the colors of the Mexican flag, red, white, and green. Parades and other celebrations have mariachi bands and Mexican Folk music, and women wear brightly colored dresses. 

There is also traditional Mexican food eaten on this holiday. Hugo Escobedo, a student at Canyon Hills High School, enjoys eating “enchiladas, tacos, and churros.” 

Chilaquiles, tamales, carnitas, Mexican street corn, and beverages like Jamaica and horchata are some more traditional Mexican dishes and beverages consumed on Cinco de Mayo.

According to Escobedo  “5 de Mayo is celebrated in the U.S by parties and parades being thrown in various places and sometimes not exclusive to Mexican committees.”

Furthermore,  he said Americans celebrate it for fun and its inclusivity. That it is a fun and harmless way to represent culture even if it it’s not celebrated as much in Mexico.

When asked if Cinco De Mayo should be a topic to learn about in school, he says  “ I don’t see why not, it can be a very fun way to explore the culture of our neighboring country, especially with the amount of hispanic students already attending school.“