This Year’s Winter Formal Was Pretty Enjoyable

With the Homecoming dance done quickly into the school year, many people look forward to winter formal for the entire winter season. With the extended wait for the dance this year, we were all eagerly anticipating a fun winter formal to lift the spirits of the second semester.

Personally, I believe that the dance was fun, but still had some issues with it.

One of my biggest issues with this year’s winter formal was the ticket prices. I understand that they must raise the ticket prices every year/semester to keep up with the real world inflation and have the funding to book locations and staff, etc. I also appreciated the first seventy five tickets being sold for $25, and I’m sure everyone who was able to buy a ticket then did too, But it is still disappointing to have to pay $40-$50 or even $60 for a school dance ticket, especially when there are very low expectations for our dances.

This poster was made and then posted online to the Canyon Hills ASB Instagram page to help promote the dance and provide information for everyone.
Source: Canyon Hills ASB Instagram

“I thought the ticket prices were alright,” said CHHS senior Mason Sautter. “The first seventy five people or so got it for $25 instead of $40. I think $25 definitely seems a lot better and makes more sense, but I thought the prices were fine overall.”

The venue was at Four Points by Sheraton San Diego, a very nice hotel. To get into the dance, we had to walk through the hotel lobby and then down a hallway to check in with the chaperones, which I felt was a nice way to prevent strangers from getting into the event. The outside didn’t have very much, but the room with the decorations, dance floor, DJ, etc. was quite nicely decorated and full to the brim of students and objects. There were tables set up with lots of food and drink options (water, lemonade, tea), which I definitely think was an upgrade compared to homecoming! There were even lemon slices to put in your drinks, which was super cool. 

“I thought the venue was alright, the area was cool and I like how we were able to go outside, which is the one thing I think it had over last year’s venue,” said Sautter. “Overall I would say it was a good venue, I didn’t have any complaints.”

There wasn’t much to do except stand/sit around and catch up with friends and peers, or go dance on the dance floor. I personally think last year’s formal was a lot more fun since it took place at a science museum and we were able to interact with the displays, but I still had an enjoyable time. The decorations were nice and I really liked seeing everyone look their best! The theme of Glitz & Glamour was perfect, definitely better than the Candyland theme from homecoming. I have higher expectations for the prom theme now.

Overall, I enjoyed winter formal this year, even if it could have been better or lived up to last year’s winter formal. I hope prom can be just as memorable this year!

ASB put advertisement posters around campus for winter formal. Students were able to scan the QR codes and purchase tickets online if they were not bringing an non-CHHS campus.
Source: Jasmine Tran