Club Elevated running Marijuana Prevention Month at CHHS

Elevated is a school club run by ​​Stacy Chiles, who works with Say San Diego and student officers Nick Alcorn, James Maw, Daniel Canuel and Katherine Bui, among others. Club Elevated tries to better not only the campus but also the people on the campus. It does so by running events,  the most recent being Marijuana Prevention Month.

flyer for marijuana prevention month
A flier promoting Marijuana Prevention Month by creating a PSA contest.
(Jayce Lay)

Marijuana is a psychoactive drug that can affect the brain and body in various ways. The effects of marijuana use can vary depending on several factors, such as the amount used, the method of use, the potency of the marijuana, and the individual’s tolerance and sensitivity to the drug.

In general, marijuana use can have short-term and long-term effects on the brain, including Impaired memory and concentration, Impaired motor coordination and reaction time, Altered judgment and decision-making abilities, Anxiety and paranoia, Increased heart rate and blood pressure, Respiratory problems (if smoked), Potential addiction

In high school kids, marijuana use can also interfere with their academic performance, social relationships, and overall well-being. It can affect their motivation, memory, and ability to learn and retain information. It can also lead to decreased participation in extracurricular activities and increased absences  from school.

Additionally, marijuana use can have legal consequences for high school kids, as it is illegal for minors to use, possess, or distribute marijuana in most states. It can also affect their future opportunities, such as college admission, employment, and obtaining professional licenses.

Club Elevated´s message is that it is important for high school kids to understand the potential risks and consequences of marijuana use and to make informed decisions about their health and well-being. Parents, teachers, and healthcare professionals can play a crucial role in educating kids about the dangers of drug use and providing support and resources for those who may be struggling with substance abuse.